CRIMINAL MATTERS: PHONE LISTINGS AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
LOCATING YOUR LOVED ONE IF THEY HAVE BEEN ARRESTED.
People arrested by the NYPD are taken for initial processing to the precinct in which the arrest occurred. Within 4 to 6 hours they are then taken for further processing to Central Booking, located at the criminal court in the county of arrest. Once all processing and paperwork is complete, they await an appearance before a judge, called an arraignment. Arraignment usually happens within 24 hours of the arrest, and will probably be the first time you will be able to see your friend or loved-one following an arrest.
The New York City arraignment courts operate seven days a week, in two shifts: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. Additionally, there are four overnight shifts Wednesday through Saturday in Manhattan from 1:00a.m. to 9:00a.m.
To find out the approximate time and courtroom of the arraignment, call Central Booking in the county of arrest and ask for the person’s Arrest Number.
Once you have obtained the Arrest Number (or if there is none available), call the Criminal Court Arraignment Clerk to find out when and in what courtroom the person will be arraigned.
WILL THEY BE RELEASED?
This is up to the Judge. If not consenting to release on recognizance (‘ROR’), the prosecutor will ask that bail be set, depending on the nature of the charges, on whether your loved one has a criminal record, or a record of failing to appear in court (“warranting”) in the past, and on their ties to the community. If it’s a close call, your presence in court can be very helpful in reassuring the Judge that your loved one will return to court whenever required.
PHONE NUMBERS AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:
- Central Booking: (212) 374-3921
- New York County (Manhattan) Criminal Court: (646) 386-4000
- 100 Centre Street
- Directions: No. 4 or 5 train to Brooklyn Bridge Station; No. 6 train, N, R or C train to Canal Street; No. 1 train to Franklin Street; M1, M6 and M15 bus lines are nearby. 100 Centre Street is one block north of Worth Street, three blocks south of Canal Street.
- Central Booking: (718) 935-9249
- Kings County (Brooklyn) Criminal Court: (718) 643-5675
- 120 Schermerhorn Street
- Directions: N, R or M train to Lawrence Street Station; G train to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street Station; A, F or C train to Jay Street Station; 2, 3, 4 or 5 trains to Borough Hall Station. B67, B41 and B45 bus lines stop near Livingston Street and Smith Street; B63 and B65 bus lines stop near Atlantic Avenue and Smith Street.
- Central Booking: (718) 298-0736
- Bronx County Criminal Court: (718) 590-2886
- 215 East 161st Street, near Sherman and Sheridan Avenues.
- Directions: C or D train to Yankee Stadium/161st Street Station; No. 4 train also stops at same station. BX 13 bus stops at East 161st Street and Sheridan Avenue; BX 6 stops at East 161st Street and Sherman Avenue; BX 1 stops at East 161st Street and Grand Concourse.
- Central Booking: (718) 268-4523
- Queens County Criminal Court: (718) 520-1985
- 125-01 Queens Blvd (near Hoover Avenue and 82nd Avenue)
- Directions: E or F train to Union Turnpike Station. Q60, Q37, Q74 and Q46 buses all have stops in close proximity to Courthouse.
- Central Booking: (718) 876-8493
- Richmond County (Staten Island) Criminal Court: (718) 390-8400
- Note: On weekends, call the Brooklyn Arraignment Office: (718) 643-5675
- 67 Targee Street (between Frean and Purroy Streets)
- Directions: From Ferry Terminal take S74 bus to Broad Street and Gordon Street or S78 bus to Broad Street and Thompkins Avenue; Courthouse is approximately four blocks from either stop.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, fill out a contact request or call 646-389-1512.